Senior Software Engineer, Developer Ecosystems
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg and Hubspot.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
About this role
Developers interact with our service, for the most part, using our client library software. We provide libraries on significant ecosystems (iOS, JVM, Web, and Infra & Automation). Our libraries are open-source and available on GitHub, and we are receptive to contributions from our customers, the developers they work with, and the broader open-source community.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will play a key role in expanding and improving our open source client libraries, shaping how developers interact with our services. Your expertise and involvement will directly impact the success of our product and contribute to our team’s mission of expanding the Developer Ecosystems that we currently support.
Day to day you will
- Provide technical leadership. You’ll own one of our Developer Ecosystems, depending on your background:
- iOS - Cocoa, flutter iOS, Swift
- JVM - Java, flutter Android, Kafka, Kotlin
- Infra & Automation - Rust, Go, Terraform
- Design developer-friendly APIs and SDKs. You’ll formulate API proposals and the published specifications for new features, including liaison with the customers requesting them.
- Collaborate on ambitious projects. You’ll work on a big project per period with other Developer Ecosystems Leads on any of the libraries that we own, or create a new one.
- Manage complex development projects. You’ll be responsible for the entire lifecycle of development of our projects, including the development of new features, maintenance, bug fixing and testing.
- Oversee external resources. You’ll lead and review work by freelancers and others that contribute to our ecosystems.
- Engage and support the developer community. You’ll actively engage with the developer community to gather feedback and resolve issues raised against our client libraries.
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- High expertise in one of our existing ecosystems (iOS, JVM, or Infra & Automation) mentioned above
- Experience developing public-facing APIs and/or SDKs
- Experience making technical decisions to drive projects forward efficiently
- A strong focus on customer outcomes and the ability to quickly comprehend and convert business requirements into technical solutions
- A growth mindset - you view intelligence, abilities, and talents as learnable and that they can be improved through effort
- A pragmatic approach; the ability to quickly and successfully embrace change and adapt effectively in response
- A passion for contributing to and optimizing software quality and ways of testing
- Experience with multiple programming languages and willingness to work with any
It would be great, but not essential if you have
- Experience building developer-first products.
- Experience with products that are brought to market primarily through a product led growth approach.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
Ably is a remote-first company and we strongly believe in life before work and encourage our people to find a balance between the two.
We recognize that each person is different and will want to be supported in different ways which is why our benefits (ably.com/ukbenefits) are there to help you focus on your needs today and prepare you for your future.
Amongst other things, we offer a generous holiday allowance, private healthcare and significant learning and development opportunities, and provide access to numerous wellbeing resources. We’re proud to do whatever it takes to care for Ablyans and their future.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.