Senior Product Designer
Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg and Hubspot.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
About this role
There’s an old belief that software engineers don’t need good UX and interaction design in the tools they use when developing software. We believe that couldn’t be farther from the truth. Software developers are software users, and developers in fast-moving digitally native businesses need their tools to be intuitive, reliable, and a pleasure to use.
As a Senior Product Designer, you will play a vital role in shaping the developer experiences across our products and platforms. You will be part of a cross-functional team where you will apply your expertise to create intuitive, engaging, and visually appealing designs that make developers successful - and which surprise and delight them, too. The solutions you drive will improve developer experience across the entire developer journey; onboarding and first user experience, developer education, the purchasing journey, and the tools to manage and operate Ably-powered applications at global scale.
Day to day you will
- Create and communicate design concepts and interactions. You’ll create intuitive interaction designs, wireframes, user flows and interactive prototypes that deliver exceptional developer experiences.
- Optimise user journeys. You’ll develop information architecture and navigation structures that enhance usability and engagement and ensure consistency and coherence in design.
- Conduct user research and analysis. You’ll strive to help us better understand user behaviors, needs, and pain points, analysing feedback and conducting testing to gather insights and inform design decisions.
- Engage with the developer community. You’ll actively engage with the developer community, both directly and indirectly, to gather feedback, establish relationships, and promote Ably’s solutions.
- Be driven by “Developer First” principles. You’ll collaborate closely with the mission Product Manager and other stakeholders to develop a deep understanding of the needs of developers and how to solve their most important problems.
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- Proven experience as a UX Designer or similar role, with a strong portfolio showcasing your design expertise.
- Solid understanding of user-centered design principles and best practices.
- Experience with design sprints or other iterative design, prototyping, and testing processes.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping tools such as Figma, or similar.
- Experience conducting user research, usability testing, and gathering user insights.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with the ability to present and articulate design concepts.
- A product mindset, with a strong focus on customer outcomes and the ability to quickly comprehend and convert business requirements into technical solutions
- A pragmatic approach; the ability to quickly and successfully embrace change and adapt effectively in response.
- Experience in dynamic, early stage startups where adaptability and resourcefulness are crucial.
- A transparent and collaborative “build in the open” mindset.
It would be great, but not essential if you have
- Experience building tools used by software engineers, developers, and others involved in the software development process
- Experience with products that are brought to market primarily through a product led growth approach.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
Ably is a remote-first company and we strongly believe in life before work and encourage our people to find a balance between the two.
We recognize that each person is different and will want to be supported in different ways which is why our benefits (ably.com/ukbenefits) are there to help you focus on your needs today and prepare you for your future.
Amongst other things, we offer a generous holiday allowance, private healthcare and significant learning and development opportunities, and provide access to numerous wellbeing resources. We’re proud to do whatever it takes to care for Ablyans and their future.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.