Head of Warehouse
Bloom & Wild
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2023
bloomon is turning the flower industry on its head – for the better. How? By disrupting the traditional supply chain, where most florists operate offline and have done for decades. bloomon creates seasonal collections using unusual stems to deliver unique flower arrangements on repeat or as a unique gift. We always use field-fresh high-quality flowers straight from the grower and deliver them to our customers through a high-tech and highly creative platform. We launched in Amsterdam in 2014 and went from start-up to scale-up at hypersonic speed. In 2021 we joined forces with Bloom & Wild, the UK’s fastest growing ecommerce company (according to the Financial Times). Driven by our vision of creating the destination for making life a little more thoughtful and beautiful, we’re now part of Europe’s leading online flower company.
The group is backed by top tier investors including General Catalyst (backers of Airbnb and Deliveroo), who led our £75 million Series D funding round in January 2021, alongside Index Ventures (investors in Wise and Glossier). We are home to a family of 3 strong brands, Bloom & Wild, boomon and Bergamotte. Together, we are active in 8 countries.
We really care about creating a diverse and inclusive team and we welcome people from all backgrounds, with different perspectives, ideas and experiences to work with us. In our team, everyone has the freedom to give their opinion, grow in their career and be part of a genuinely caring and inclusive team.
Operations at bloomon
The Operations team at bloomon and Bloom & Wild is organised broadly into three sub-teams, although in practice these teams all work very closely together:
Forecasting & Logistics - working closely with our fulfilment partners and carrier partners (and coordinating our own delivery network) to achieve operational excellence and optimise for customer satisfaction, delivery performance, capacity and associated COGS. This sub-team also manages our cross-functional peak planning processes and forecasting at fulfilment level
Warehouse Operations - Across our 3 strong brands of; Bloom & Wild, bloomon and Bergamotte we have various warehouses across the EU. The teams based at these sites optimises for customer satisfaction, quality and associated COGs
Supply Chain and Quality - this team manages our supply chain for fresh flowers, plants and non floral gifts as well as working with our flower supply chain partners to optimise for quality in our supply chain
As a member of the Warehouse Operations team, the Head of Warehouse is based at our Amstelveen warehouse, which is situated just outside of Amsterdam and very close to the Royal Flora Holland (RFH) Flower auction. The Amstelveen warehouse is our logistical hub of our entire European supply chain. On a floorspace of 10,000m2 we create thousands of bouquets on a daily basis. With a team of ~100 people we receive our fresh flowers and plants overnight, check the quality in the morning, create and pack fresh and other products at high pace during the day, and load dozens of trucks in the evening, so we can deliver to our customers the next day. Amstelveen also functions as a hub for our other warehouses, supported by a smaller site inside the RFH building. You’ll be reporting to our VP of Warehouse Operations and you’ll be an integral part of the Operations Management Team working closely with your colleagues across Supply Chain/Quality, Forecasting & Delivery, your peers, the warehouse leaders in the UK and Germany.
What will you do?
You will be responsible for all warehouse operations in the Amstelveen warehouse, the P&L for the site, and the RFH site. Providing leadership to your team leads and a team of 90+ production employees, you will make sure we work in time, with the highest quality standards, in a safe and efficient manner. Whether it is in receiving fresh flowers and other supplies, binding bouquets, packing vases, printing personal gift cards, cross docking for our other sites or managing our Mother's day peak: you are on top of it and make sure every customer is happy with the order or gift they receive.
You thrive and deliver results in an ambiguous, fast paced and dynamic environment. To achieve this, you support your team in the best way possible, are in close contact with our labour agencies and your colleagues in the rest of the supply chain, and you seek to adapt and improve in the continuously changing context.
You will be responsible for:
- Manage all warehouse operations, using existing skills and knowledge to implement and improve effective processes and procedures whilst also working collaboratively with fellow warehouse leaders to identify and embed best practices
- Planning, organising, directing and leading optimum day-to-day operations whilst meeting budgetary/ operational targets and exceeding customers’ expectations
- Demonstrating exceptional, values driven leadership across the warehouse, you’ll lead by example and build a positive team culture aligned to our core culture and values
- Recruiting, developing and leading the team responsible for intake of goods (both fresh and non fresh), processing, production, packing and fulfilling our customer orders across our expanding range of products (~6 direct reports, ~20 indirect ~80 agency workers)
- Supply and on-site management of all inventory, ensuring controlled, maintained and accurate recording and reporting in close collaboration with the procurement team
- Driving continuous improvement, innovation and operational efficiency through structured data-driven problem solving, embedding robust processes, technology and automation
- Establishing, owning and running reporting. Providing regular, accurate data analysis to the senior leadership team
- Putting customers first at every decision, action and communication and working closely with our quality team to ensure delivery on our customer promise
- Responsible for Health and Safety on-site, ensuring that all staff are adequately trained and provided with fit for purpose tools / equipment to fulfil their duties complying with all relevant H&S regulations, Company Policies and procedures
- 5+ years' relevant experience leading a fast-paced, e-commerce manufacturing or fulfilment operation with seasonal peaks
- Experience in successfully developing and managing a high-performance team.
- Experience in horticultural or food manufacturing and/or B2C packing/order fulfilment is a plus
- Proven ability to analyse data, processes and solve problems with cross-functional stakeholders
- Excellent attention to detail and experience of working with Excel, data, warehouse systems/software and collaboration tools such as Google apps, Slack
- Understanding of best practice processes in a warehouse environment and experience in successfully implementing and embedding them
- Experience of driving automation and innovation in warehouse operations
- Ability to communicate and work in a remote/cross-functional team environment effectively
- Passionate about quality, customer experience, people and processes
- Drivers licence
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (Dutch and English required)
We are a distributed team with two office locations in Amsterdam and London and warehouses in Amstelveen (NL), Bergkamen (DE) and Nuneaton (UK).
Additional bloomon benefits:
* Daily fresh and healthy lunch prepared by our lovely lunch chefs
* A flexible and entrepreneurial environment
* Friday drinks and social events
* Happiness days - 4 extra days off per year for your personal “me-time”
* Of course, lots of beautiful fresh flowers!
* We'll support your commute to our office and site locations. Depending on your journey to work, this may include a Van Moof bike, an NS business card or travel reimbursement.
We all love what we do – so if you like challenges, developing new skills, growing creatively and taking initiative, you’ll feel right at home as part of the bloomon team.
See more open positions at Bloom & Wild
Something looks off?