Interim Head of Group Financial Reporting
Bloom & Wild
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2023
Hi, we’re Bloom & Wild. We don’t just send flowers! We help our customers to care wildly. Caring wildly is celebrating the little things we all do for each other every day. Not just the big occasions. It’s being there for the highs. Stepping up for the lows.
Care has been at the heart of our business right from the start. From the products we source, and the packaging we send them in, to the way we look after our colleagues, our customers, our planet, and the communities around us.
Founded in 2013, our mission back then was to make sending and receiving flowers the joy that it should be, by harnessing technology, brand and letterbox delivery. We announced £75 million Series D funding in 2021 and that same year acquired bloomon in The Netherlands and Bergamotte in France. Together, we’ve fulfilled over 20 million deliveries (and counting!), making us the largest direct to consumer business in Europe.
Home to a family of 3 beautiful brands, we’re driven by our vision to create the destination for making life a little more thoughtful and beautiful. And we won't stop at flowers and plants. Starting with the Bloom & Wild brand, we're expanding our gifting offering to other categories like cakes, candles and cocktails. We’re already the largest direct to consumer flower business in Europe and this is all part of our ambition to build Europe's #1 direct to consumer gifting destination.
🛠️ Finance at Bloom & Wild
Led by Sophia, our VP of FInance, we’re organised across three core teams who collaborate with all areas of the business to ensure our financial well being:
Financial Control & Reporting - is a team of 15 across 3 locations (UK, Netherlands and France). We look after all of the reporting for Bloom & Wild Group, which includes the compilation of our month-end reporting, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Financial Planning & Analysis - manages the budgeting and forecasting process, as well as analysis of our financial performance. We also build financial models to help other areas of the business on a variety of projects and initiatives.
Finance Operations and Compliance - performs the majority of group functions across each of our locations, including PSP and treasury management, controls and compliance and all things tax. We are also responsible for spearheading any process improvements or transformational projects.
💻 What you’ll be doing
We’re looking for an Interim Head of Group Financial Control & Reporting to join us on a 12-month contract and cover a period of parental leave starting in December. With a team of 14 (5 direct reports), you’ll lead our reporting function, with a focus on coordinating and improving our month-end process to reduce our closing timelines through greater efficiencies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Coordination of the month-end close process across the group (3 locations) with support from our senior accountants in each location
- Responsible for the preparation of our monthly group consolidated P&L and BS to share with our lender
- Collaborating with our Director of FP&A to prepare monthly management reports & analysis that are shared with board and other internal & external stakeholders
- Manage the group audit for FY24: Run the statutory audit for the consolidated group and review and approve smaller local audits across European countries. This includes holding all relationships with auditors and external financial advisors.
- Design and compilation of monthly reports (and support the reporting team in doing so) to provide timely updates to the business.
- Support the team with implementation of robust stock processes across the group & support implementation of a new inventory management system
- Manage the group's AP and AR function including supporting process improvements.
- Support the Accounts Payable Manager by approving monthly payroll for UK entities (NL and France managed by local teams) and weekly payment runs for UK and NL entities (France managed by local team)
- Work closely with the VP of Finance to improve financial controls across the business.
- Implementation of IFRS accounting standards from local GAAP accounting.
- Work with the wider finance and group teams on utilising netsuite to its full capacity including potential API links with internal and external software.
You'll love this role if you...
- Are a fully qualified accountant ACA/ACCA/CIMA (or equivalent)
- Have 5+ years PQE and a background which includes a mix of industry and audit roles
- Have strong excel skills and high attention to detail, together with an ability to interpret and communicate conclusions
- Are an empathetic leader - you genuinely love delivering through others, and are comfortable guiding, evaluating and flexing your style to get the best from those around you
- Are outcome driven - you’re enthusiastic, passionate and keen to deliver impactful results
- Have a positive and optimistic attitude - you’re excited about problem-solving and finding innovative solutions to overcome setbacks and obstacles, and inspire and motivate those around you too
- Have a collaborative approach that enables you to work with a range of different people and teams and allows for open and inclusive discussion
- Have some experience using Netsuite (that would be ideal!)
These are some of the skills and experience we think will enable success in this role, but please don’t worry if you are missing some of what’s on our list! We’re committed to building a team made up of different strengths, skills and experiences, so if you’re excited about our values, passionate about what you do and would like to join us in doing things more thoughtfully, we’d love to hear from you.
🧭 Our ways of working
We do things a little bit differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. We’re big on collaboration, empathy, knowledge sharing and growth, and our values drive our priorities every day.
We really believe in the power of face-to-face connections - be that through a shared project, a learning and development opportunity, or an after work social - and trust our teams to make the right decisions (for them and us) about where and how they work each day. Our working patterns are flexible and vary across the business, depending on the type of work, need for collaboration, and personal and wellbeing circumstances.
🏡 Belonging at Bloom & Wild
We know that we learn through our differences, and building a diverse team has always been central to creating the best experience for our customers. We value all backgrounds, perspectives, ideas and experiences, and encourage everyone to share their opinions openly within our caring and inclusive team.
✅ Why Bloom & Wild?
To care wildly for our customers, firstly we care wildly for our teams. We work hard to craft a culture of thoughtfulness and care, where there is a strong sense of inclusion and belonging, enabling all of our people to thrive and be successful each day.
🌻 Work that works for you
- Flexible working: our core hours are 10-4, but outside of these hours you can start or finish your day when works best for you
- Work Abroad for up to 30 days each year
- Summer hours: every Friday afternoon off during July and August (trialling in 2023)
- Enhanced family leave policy and a workplace nursery scheme
- 1 day per year to volunteer on a project that’s close to your heart
🌴 Time off
- 25 days’ holiday + your birthday and bank holidays each year
- Option to buy an extra 5 days’ holiday each year
- Flexible bank holidays - trade a bank holiday for another day that fits your beliefs, values and celebration calendar
🌱 Health & Wellbeing
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Mental health support through Open Up, including access to online therapy sessions
- Allies and champions groups
- Mental Health First Aiders and awareness training for our managers
- In person or virtual yoga every week
- Cycle to work scheme
- Our office kitchen is stocked with drinks and snacks to keep you going
- Financial wellbeing support through Bippit
🌳 Growth & Development
- A flexible training framework for every stage of your career development through our Bloom & Learn programme
- Access to the Goodhabitz learning platform
- Mentee and mentor opportunities with our external partners, such as The Women's Association and Future Founders
- Internal & external Speaker Sessions on a variety of different inspirational topics
💐 Moments that matter
- Social & wellbeing monthly calendar
- Summer and End of Year events, team lunches and post-peak celebrations
- Irresistible discounts on our products, blooms & subscriptions!