Finance Lead - Operations & Warehousing
Bloom & Wild
Accounting & Finance, Operations
Posted on Saturday, November 11, 2023
Hi, we’re Bloom & Wild. We don’t just send flowers. We help our customers to care wildly. Caring wildly is celebrating the little things we all do for each other every day. Not just the big occasions. It’s being there for the highs. Stepping up for the lows.
Care has been at the heart of our business from the start. From the products we source, and the packaging we send them in, to the way we look after our colleagues, our customers, our planet, and the communities around us.
Founded in 2013, our mission back then was to make sending and receiving flowers the joy that it should be, by harnessing technology, brand and letterbox delivery. We announced £75 million Series D funding in 2021 and that same year acquired bloomon in The Netherlands and Bergamotte in France. Together, we’ve fulfilled and delivered over 20 million orders (and counting!), making us the largest direct to consumer flower business in Europe.
Now home to a family of 3 beautiful brands, we’re driven by our vision to create the destination for making life a little more thoughtful and beautiful. And we won't stop at flowers and plants. Starting with the Bloom & Wild brand, we're expanding our gifting offering to other categories like cakes, candles and cocktails. This is all part of our ambition to build Europe's #1 direct to consumer gifting destination.
🛠️ Finance @ Bloom & Wild
We care about our financial wellbeing and collaborate across the whole business to support them in doing what they do best - inspiring our customers to brighten lives and homes. Led by Sophia, our VP of Finance, we’re organised across three core teams and based in the UK, the Netherlands and France.
Financial Control & Reporting - we look after all of the reporting for Bloom & Wild Group, which includes the compilation of our month-end reporting, payroll, accounts payable and accounts receivable.
Financial Planning & Analysis - we manage the budgeting and forecasting process as if it was our own. Analysing financial performance and building financial models to help other areas of the business on a variety of projects and initiatives.
Finance Operations and Compliance - we perform the majority of group functions across each of our locations, think: PSP and treasury management, controls and compliance, and all things tax. We are also there to spearhead process improvements or transformational projects.
💻 What you’ll be doing
Partnering with key stakeholders in the business, this role will be responsible for ensuring we have accurate management reporting, and robust controls in place across our Operations and Warehouse functions in the UK and the Netherlands. We’re open to hiring this role in either London or Amsterdam, and would love to hear from candidates in both locations who are open to regular travel.
Responsibilities will include:
- Responsible for production, labour and packaging P&L costs & posting month-end journals for each of these areas
- Owner of all Finance-outputs from our fully integrated stock management tool (RF Smart - currently in "test" phases of implementation)
- Responsible for finance coordination of stock counts together with the warehousing team in all in-house and 3rd party locations across the UK & NL
- Responsible for ownership of the month-end stock valuation (UK and NL) and reconciling any variances between NetSuite and warehouse stock counts
- Responsible for all balance sheet reconciliations falling within your stock remit (e.g stock valuation; GRNI; stock prepayments) and supporting the FC&R team with other monthly balance sheet reconciliations on an ad-hoc basis
- Finance partnering with Greg, our Head of Operational FP&A, to review monthly figures and support with analysis relating to procurement, production and warehousing costs
- Business partnering with Marton, our VP of Warehouse Operations, and Jorge, Global Procurement Lead to provide seamless coordination between Finance and all things Production, Procurement and Warehousing
- Key finance contact for our 3rd party warehouse in the UK regarding all non-perishable stock held
- Attending quarterly stock counts in UK and NL locations to advise and implement best practice finance processes
- Assisting with audit requests as part of our group year-end audit
- Travel to our bloomon office in Amsterdam at least once a quarter
✅ You’ll love this role if...
- You’re a fully Qualified Accountant (ACCA/CIMA/ACA)
- You have around 5 years’ finance experience within retail/manufacturing/ecommerce industries, which includes exposure to warehouse and/or inventory management
- You have strong financial modelling and excel skills with high attention to detail, alongside an ability to interpret and communicate insights
- You’re proactive and enjoy taking responsibility for significant areas of work
- You love to solve problems and take a logical and collaborative approach to finding solutions
- Outcome driven - you’re enthusiastic, passionate and keen to deliver impactful results
- You're a solid team player with some experience of managing junior team members
- You’re a strong communicator (in English, Dutch would be an advantage) and have a collaborative style that enables you to work with a range of different people and teams
- Experience using NetSuite would be an advantage
- Experience using stock management software would also be an advantage
These are some of the skills and experience we think will enable success in this role, but please don’t worry if you are missing some of these. We’re committed to building a team made up of different strengths, skills and experiences, so if you’re excited about our values, passionate about what you do and would like to join us in doing things more thoughtfully, we’d love to hear from you.
🧭 Our ways of working
We do things a little bit differently. From inventing letterbox flowers to founding The Thoughtful Marketing Movement. We’re big on collaboration, empathy, knowledge sharing and growth, and our values drive our priorities every day:
Lead change for good: we have the guts to try new things and step up to do what matters most
Think deeply, act swiftly: we make sure there’s thoughtful rationale behind our approach and always act swiftly to implement ideas
Care wildly: we pour care and creativity into everything we do and pay attention to the things that make a difference
Stay open, be curious: we’re open about what we’re doing and why, and we welcome challenges from each other
We really believe in the power of face-to-face connections - be that through a shared project, a learning and development opportunity, or an after work social - and trust our teams to make the right decisions (for them and us) about where and how they work each day. Our working patterns are flexible and vary across the business, depending on the type of work, need for collaboration, and personal and wellbeing circumstances.
🏡 Belonging at Bloom & Wild
We know that we learn through our differences, and building a diverse team has always been central to creating the best experience for our customers. We value all backgrounds, perspectives, ideas and experiences, and encourage everyone to share their opinions openly within our caring and inclusive team.
🌟 (Some of) The good stuff
To care wildly for our customers, firstly we care wildly for our teams. We work hard to craft a culture of thoughtfulness and care, where there is a strong sense of inclusion and belonging, enabling all of our people to thrive and be successful each day.
🌻 Work that works for you
- Flexible working : our core hours are 10-4, but outside of these hours you can start or finish your day when works best for you
- Work Abroad for up to 30 days each year
- Share in our success with a choice to take equity options from day 1
- Enhanced family leave policy and a workplace nursery scheme
- 1 day per year to volunteer on a project that’s close to your heart
🌴 Time off
- 25 days’ holiday + your birthday and bank holidays each year
- Option to buy an extra 5 days’ holiday each year
- Flexible bank holidays - trade a bank holiday for another day that fits your beliefs, values and celebration calendar
🌱 Health & Wellbeing
- Health cash plan through Simplyhealth
- Mental health support through Open Up, including access to online therapy sessions
- Allies and champions groups
- Mental Health First Aiders and awareness training for our managers
- In person or virtual yoga every week
- Cycle to work scheme
- Electric car scheme
- Our office kitchen is stocked with drinks and snacks to keep you going
- Financial wellbeing support through Bippit
- Workplace pension contributions
🌳 Growth & Development
- A flexible training framework for every stage of your career development through our Bloom & Learn programme
- Access to the Goodhabitz learning platform
- Mentee and mentor opportunities with our external partners, such as The Women's Association and Future Founders
- Internal & external Speaker Sessions on a variety of different inspirational topics
💐 Moments that matter
- Social & wellbeing monthly calendar
- Summer and End of Year events, team lunches and post-peak celebrations
- Irresistible discounts on our products, blooms & subscriptions!