San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 23, 2023
MindsDB is a fast-growing open-source infrastructure company that enables developers to quickly integrate machine learning into applications and connect any data source with any ML framework easily, all in one place. We are the largest & fastest growing open source Applied Machine Learning project in the world with over 14k Github stars.
MindsDB was founded in 2017 by Adam Carrigan (COO) and Jorge Torres (CEO) and is backed with over $24M in funding from leading VC’s Benchmark Capital, YCombinator, Walden Catalyst Ventures, OpenOcean (the venture fund launched by the creators of MySQL and MariaDB) SpeedInvest, MMC and the University of California Berkeley SkyDeck fund. MindsDB is also a graduate of YCombinator's Winter 2020 batch and was recently recognised as one of America's most promising AI companies by Forbes.
About the role
We would like to add a technically-minded Product Designer to our Product Team, with experience in building infrastructure applications or dev tools at scale. You will work cross-functionally with experts in software engineering, ML, marketing, our partners and more, in a truly exciting product category. You should be someone who appreciates the merits of an elegant design system while being proficient in writing front-end code for prototyping. Our mission is to become the go-to platform for developers building AI-integrated applications. Therefore, it’s important to us that you approach ambiguous problems as an opportunity for learning; your portfolio should demonstrate how you’ve adapted your design process to achieve the mutual objectives of a business and its user, in a frenetic paced, start-up environment.
To apply for this role you must be currently based in the Bay Area. Note, any applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
What you’ll be working on
- Creating user flows, wireframes, design specs, and other design artifacts to communicate complex concepts, and explain the design rationale behind your decision-making.
- Translating internal feature enhancement intuitions and user actionable insights into early prototypes or high fidelity wireframes, and in turn, to rapidly iterate based on continuous feedback from our users; we use Figma for no-code prototypes and React in our product.
- Applying strong written communication skills to formulate pre-reads to steer alignment and better asynchronous communication.
- Owning and codifying our pattern library for enabling a smoother engineering hand-off and to facilitate greater consistency.
- Providing feedback and guidance to help mentor our junior designer.
- Contributing to whiteboarding and other ideation sessions.
- Showing your work at internal demo days and contribute to design critiques.
- Studying the user experience of direct and in-direct competitor products.
- Working closely with the product and engineering team to identify, plan, scope, and execute an end-to-end user experience.
- Identifying and defining opportunities that will improve the product (including the metrics you will measure), shepherd your design solution through the development process and analyze the results.
- Proactively identifying and unblock knowledge sharing and communication challenges to help scale the design organization.
- Writing user stories and acceptance criteria for the engineering backlog.
- Contributing to the brand visual language and to make changes to our website hosted on Webflow.
- Experience designing for developer tools.
- Experience working with distributed or remote teams.
- Experience codifying pattern libraries.
- Proficient in Figma.
Nice to Have
- Experience with designing for AI/ML interactions.
- Experience in brand design.
- An active interest in UI animation.
We understand that there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. We're looking for someone passionate, proactive, and ambitious, who is excited to face the challenges of a rapidly growing startup. MindsDB is the type of company where you can grow exponentially, and we encourage you to apply to us even if you don't 100% match the candidate description.
Benefits & Perks:
- Remote and Hybrid Roles
- Flexible working hours
- Competitive Compensation
- Unlimited PTO
- New Hire Remote Setup budget
- Learning & Development budget
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance (US only)
- Monthly Wellbeing Budget
- Monthly (virtual) team events
- International in-person company retreats
- Wellbeing/Mental Health leave
Diversity, Equality & Inclusion
MindsDB is an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our employees. MindsDB will give all qualified applicants consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.
See more open positions at MindsDB
Something looks off?