Energy Market Analyst US
At Modo Energy, we're on a mission to build the information architecture for the energy transition - we're the most accessible and comprehensive place to come to for information on the global energy transitions to net zero.
We're a dedicated and passionate team building a category-defining business, working on one of the most important missions the world needs. We are looking for individuals who love product-building, want to work with pace at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a rapidly growing team.
Who are we looking for?
The position of Market Analyst sits within the Research team, and reports to the Editor. The Research team is responsible for producing the incisive insights and articles we publish, which help our users get to grips with the ever-changing energy market landscape.
We are looking for a candidate with a background in electricity markets, an analytical mind, and clear communication skills - to help us produce world-leading insights about power markets (and the markets for battery energy storage in particular).
Though every day will be different, you can expect to spend time:
- Creating data-led, analytical content about power markets, in a variety of formats - but mainly written articles and videos - to communicate high-value insights to our audience.
- Sourcing, processing, and analyzing large, often complex datasets - to spot market trends and patterns that can lead to actionable insights for our audience.
- Getting to know our users, building your network, and staying up to date with the latest developments in the clean energy industry.
- Working collaboratively with teams across the business, to make sure that all aspects of the organization are pulling in the same direction and giving our users huge value across all of our product, content, and customer-facing endeavors.
We are looking for someone who has:
- In-depth knowledge of how the electricity system works, and how power is traded (preferably with some experience of how battery energy storage systems earn money) - and the ability and willingness to learn quickly.
- Experience carrying out complex data analysis - with strong competency using Excel, and (preferably) experience using at least one programming language (e.g. Python; R).
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills. You’ll be relied upon to discover, explore, visualize, and communicate trends and patterns you find in numerical data, in ways that provide value to our users.
- Strong critical thinking skills. At Modo Energy, you will have the platform to become an influential thought leader within the renewable energy space - but you’ll need to be able to develop your own thoughtful opinions, and ask insightful questions of those around you (internally and externally).
We’d love it if you also have:
- Experience in writing clearly and concisely - to distill and communicate complex topics into accessible, jargon-free language.
- Experience communicating your ideas through video (or a strong willingness to learn).
How and where we work
We strongly believe that face-to-face collaboration within and across teams gets the best out of everyone. That’s why Modo asks that all employees come into our Austin office, in-person, from Tuesday through Thursday each week - if you also want to come in on Mondays and/or Fridays, that’s absolutely encouraged, too (but it’s not mandatory).
Modo Energy’s existing employees have come from a range of backgrounds and industries - but, regardless of previous experience, all-star achievers have progressed within the company to carry out important roles, with a lot of exciting responsibilities.
As mentioned above, Modo has also provided a platform for a number of its employees to become highly influential and respected thought leaders in the UK renewable energy industry. You will absolutely have that same opportunity with Modo in the United States
What you can expect from Modo
We want to attract and retain the best talent at Modo, and we give our people the freedom and opportunity to develop themselves and flourish.
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team at Modo, as we believe a variety of backgrounds, skills and interests is what makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for supporting the transition to greener energy systems, we encourage you to apply. We have a number of positions open which could be for a range of backgrounds and experience levels. Please get in touch if you are interested and you don’t meet all the requirements, or if you exceed them!