Head of Finance
The Supercritical mission
The climate crisis is the single-biggest threat to humanity. Supercritical's mission is to help businesses get to net zero and to scale carbon removal technologies. We're building software to enable companies to understand their climate impact and purchase high quality carbon removal offsets. We are thrilled to have recently raised our $13m Series A, led by Lightspeed Ventures to accelerate this journey.
Join us to help carbon removal technologies to scale so that the planet is ready for net zero by 2050! Come and help us save the planet!
Why is carbon removal critical?
Carbon removal includes nature-based solutions like biochar and cutting-edge technologies that literally pull carbon from the sky and store it underground for millennia. We need to scale to remove 10 billion tons a year by 2050 to stay below 1.5 degrees of warming. This is over 14,000x the rate we are removing carbon at today. We've only removed a few thousand tonnes to date. This will be a trillion dollar industry by 2050.
What will you achieve in the next 12 months?
- Build and manage the company financial model including P&L and cash forecasting.
- Work with leaders to run the quarterly forecasting process.
- Work with our external book keepers and internal platforms (e.g. CRMS) to produce more insights from our monthly reporting.
- Engage our investors and board with high quality reporting.
- Build the fundamentals of a great finance function.
- Have a significant impact on business performance by holding leaders to account and supporting them with ad hoc analysis.
- Act as an advisor to the management team and drive a culture of data-driven decision making.
Who are you?
You are an experienced finance professional looking for a new challenge in an exciting, impact driven industry. You have a strong foundation in most elements of finance and a particular strength in FP&A. Building beautiful financial models is your bread and butter and you perhaps even have some experience in data analytics. You are well versed in best practice processes but have also worked in unstructured environments where you have to be pragmatic about what makes the biggest impact. You love building and have likely had a hand in building something from scratch before.
You are excited about the challenge of being the first finance professional in the organisation. You persuade by making the complex simple and are not afraid to challenge leaders in order to get the best outcome. You thrive on seeing how your work impacts the company culture and results.
What values can you expect from your colleagues?
We have set ourselves the mission of leading the carbon removal market to 14,000x its current size by 2050. In order to do that we need brave adventurers that think huge and deliver at speed. We call this the 14,000x mindset. The key components of the 14,000x mindset are:
- Ownership mentality: We relish autonomy and we create it for others. We are deeply curious and thrive on understanding the root cause of complex problems. We take ownership over our own and our team’s development by giving and soliciting direct and actionable feedback.
- Move fast: We identify the most important problems to solve and cut everything else. We test ideas early so we don’t waste time on dead ends. We default to action and deliver awesome results.
- Radiate positive energy: We come to problems with energy and passion. We nurture new ideas and engage positively in testing them. We inspire our colleagues to go further and are resilient to set backs. We recharge by taking time off. We are here for a great day, not a long day.
- Communicate proactively: We communicate simply and directly. We broadcast updates, insights and lessons learnt, especially when things haven’t gone to plan. We give as much context as possible so our teammates can make great decisions.
Salary: £85,000 - £105,000 per annum
- Generous stock options
- Unlimited annual leave
- 1 company-wide day off every month
- Hybrid working: remote first with option to work from a London office 1-2 days per week
- £1000 annual wellbeing allowance
- £500 working-from-home equipment budget
- Monthly company socials
- Purchase high quality carbon removal offsets for your personal emissions from our inventory
Diversity and Inclusion
We’ve been committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace since day one of the company. We’re the only company we’re aware of with a 50:50 gender balanced list of investors and our day to day processes are always defined with D&I in mind, for example our remote first policy and flexibility around working time.
We are excited to encourage applications and interest from individuals underrepresented in the climate and tech space. Climate change and climate justice is a social issue that cuts across race and gender. We welcome applicants with lived experience across these issues.
Studies have shown that some groups of people, like women, are less likely to apply to a role unless they meet 100% of the job requirements. Whoever you are, if you like one of our jobs, we encourage you to apply as you might just be the candidate we hire.
Applicants from outside the UK
- UK Work Sponsorship: Unfortunately, at this stage of our growth, we are unable to offer UK sponsorship to applicants.
- Candidates who live outside the UK who are not looking to live and work in the UK, are within 3 hours of the GMT/BST timezone and are willing to travel to London quarterly are encouraged to apply. Please note we will use an Employer of Record arrangement in these circumstances