Research Engineer - Avatar Customisation
Who are we?
On a mission to make video easy for anyone …
It is an exciting time to join Synthesia as we reached a hallmark by becoming a Unicorn, having raised $90 million in Series C funding and now evaluated at $1 billion!! ✨ 🦄
Synthesia is the world’s #1 AI video generation platform. Well, it’s actually a video production studio — in a browser. As in, no cameras or film crews at all. You simply choose an avatar, enter your script in one of 60 languages, and your video is ready in minutes. In Synthesia, you can build personalised on-the-fly videos, give your chatbot a human face or run 24/7 weather channels in different languages, to name just a few of the possibilities. 🎬
We believe the future of media is synthetic, and we are on a mission to turn cameras into code and make everyone a creator. To learn more, check out our brand video that explains what we’re doing at Synthesia.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Research Engineer, with passion for working on cutting edge problems that can help us create highly realistic, emotional and life-like synthetic humans through text-to-video.
Our aim is to make video content creation available for all - not only to studio production!
🧑🏼🔬 You will be someone who loves to code and build working systems. You are used to working in a fast-paced start-up environment. You will have experience with the software development life cycle, from ideation through implementation, to testing and release.
👩💼 You will join a group of more than 40 Engineers in the R&D department and will have the opportunity to collaborate with multiple research teams across diverse areas, our R&D research is guided by our co-founders - Prof. Lourdes Agapito and Prof. Matthias Niessner.
If you know and love GANs, Diffusion Models, Generative AI and more - and you love machine learning, then we would love to talk to you. We will also want to talk to you - if that's what you dream of doing. 🤩
What will you be doing?
🚀 In this position, you'll be working at the heart of a dynamic R&D team solving challenging Computer Vision problems with the focus on exploring new product opportunities within Avatar customisation and bringing new capabilities to market for synthetic video. This would include:
- Taking hypotheses, ideas or papers and creating implementations of solutions on the back of these.
- Building libraries to accelerate our iteration speed during development (abstracting common functionality, automating tests sweeps, visualising results etc.).
- Building the data-sets and metadata required to model photorealistic / humanlike Avatars.
- Taking ownership of the full ML lifecycle from concept, development, testing, validation to deployment.
- Developing production quality software, our teams work “full stack” with the ability to deliver direct to product and impact the world.
- Optimising for deployment - turning prototypes into working solutions.
Who are you?
- You have a background in Computer Science and 3+ years of relevant experience.
- You have extensive knowledge in Machine Learning and Deep Learning techniques with a focus on Computer Vision problems (particularly Visual synthesis).
- You have experience working as an engineer as part of a team, following good practices (maintaining existing code, versioning, conducting code reviews etc.).
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Nice to have…
- Interest in video or image synthesis, GANs, transformers, diffusion models, NeRFs. You don’t need to be an expert in the field but we do seek someone passionate about what we do!
- Traditional video skills: video editing, video animation, 3D modelling, animation, rendering, and visual effects.
The good stuff...
💸 You will be compensated well (salary + stock options + bonus)
📍 You will work in a hybrid setting with an office in London
🚲 You get a cycle to work salary sacrifice scheme to commute to the office
🏝 You get 25 days of annual leave + public holidays
🥳 You will join an established company culture with regular socials and company retreats
🤩 You get 4 weeks paid sabbatical after 4 years at the company + $10,000!!
👉 You can participate in a generous referral scheme
🚀 You will have huge opportunities for your career growth
You can see more about Who we are and How we work here: https://www.synthesia.io/careers