Senior Full Stack Engineer - Developer Experience
Tl;DR: We're looking for a Senior-level Fullstack Engineer with a strong backend skill set to build internal tools for Developers. As your first priority, you'll extend our V1 Remote Development Environment.
Stack: React, Python, MongoDB.
Compensation: Starting from £100k GBP (or local equivalent) gross yearly + stock options on a full time, permanent basis.
Who are we?
On a mission to make video easy for anyone ...
Synthesia is the world’s #1 AI video generation platform. Well, it’s actually a video production studio — in a browser. As in, no cameras or film crews at all. You simply choose an avatar, enter your script in one of 120 languages, and your video is ready in minutes. In Synthesia, you can build personalized on-the-fly videos, give your chatbot a human face or run24/7 weather channels in different languages, to name just a few of the possibilities.
We believe the future of media is synthetic, and we are on a mission to turn cameras into code and make everyone a creator.
Not sure what we’re talking about? Check out our brand video that explains what we’re doing at Synthesia in a way that even our grandparents *kind of * understand what this AI video stuff is all about.
And yet we are just laying the groundwork for a whole new kind of media here. Imagine joining Uber, Airbnb or Stripe when these companies were just getting started.
That's how early we are – but enough about us now.
We’re looking for a Senior Fullstack Engineer to join us and focus on improving the developer experience for our team. We’ve got 50+ Engineers working remotely primarily across Europe and you’ll build internal tools to aid their productivity. Your first project will be on extending the V1 of our Remote Development Environment.
- Extend the V1 of our Remote Development Environment.
- Work truly fullstack, from server side development to frontend and infrastructure.
- Build and develop effective relationships with other Engineers to drive adoption of the tools you build.
- Take a data informed approach to building internal tooling to influence effectively.
- Create proofs of concept and introduce new technologies to the team when neccessary.
- Own the production operation and monitoring of our internal tooling and be accountable to SLAs.
- Challenge our team processes and continually look for ways to improve them.
- You have a minimum of 5+ years of experience working in software development and have experience operating at a senior level or above.
- You have built internal tools or services for developers.
- You have a strong backend development skill set in Python or another language that shares patterns with Python.
- You have some experience with modern JS frameworks.
- You like to take ownership of features and execute from planning to production
- You are very pragmatic in your approach and you don't over-engineer.
- You have strong CS fundamentals.
- You bring effective spoken and written English.
How we work
We have a fast yet non-hacky development style. We work strictly with product managers who have a technical background. As a result, we do not overwhelm engineers with unrealistic expectations.
Our roadmap is a set of high-level goals and we have no fixed timelines on deploying features - we want to get things to production as fast as possible. We do that by pushing features behind a feature flag with staged, observable releases.
Our engineers have one sync meeting per week + a Manager 1:1, async text Slack dailies, we have no dedicated QAs, we work in super small & independent teams, we have no Jira and in our team, we only have engineers, no code monkeys.
For us, it's simple: give people time to do deep work. And help specify features that are limited in scope while discouraging hacky workarounds.
After two years of building our product team and core engineering principles, we can see that we are on the right track. Progress over perfection.
At Synthesia, we expect everyone to:
- Be an owner.
- Focus on outcomes over Inputs and Plans.
- Make the journey fun.
- Default to simple.
You can read more about this in this public Notion page: https://synthesia.notion.site/How-we-work-at-Synthesia-f794caa72f8446efb6be22b551c e0fa
The good stuff...
📍 You will work in a remote-first environment with offices in 5 locations.
🏝 You get 25 days of annual leave + public holidays in the country where you are based.
🥳 You will join an established company culture with regular socials and company retreats.
🍼 You get paid parental leave.
👉 You can participate in a generous referral scheme.
💻 You get a brand new computer + monitor and other equipment you need to do your work.
🚀 You will have huge opportunities for your career growth.