Head of Product Design
Tl;DR: We're looking for an outcome-orientated design leader to join us a Head of Product Design. You'll build on a stellar foundation of a world-class team and product with a strong PMF to raise the bar, setting us on a path to become a reference in terms of Product Design.
Who are we?
On a mission to make video easy for anyone ...
Synthesia is the world’s #1 AI video generation platform. Well, it’s actually a video production studio — in a browser. As in, no cameras or film crews at all. You simply choose an avatar, enter your script in one of 120 languages, and your video is ready in minutes. In Synthesia, you can build personalized on-the-fly videos, give your chatbot a human face or run24/7 weather channels in different languages, to name just a few of the possibilities.
We believe the future of media is synthetic, and we are on a mission to turn cameras into code and make everyone a creator.
Not sure what we’re talking about? Check out our brand video that explains what we’re doing at Synthesia in a way that anyone can *kind of * understand what this AI video stuff is all about.
And yet we are just laying the groundwork for a whole new kind of media here. Imagine joining Uber, Airbnb or Stripe when these companies were just getting started.
That's how early we are – but enough about us now.
Right now, we’re looking for a Head of Product Design to spearhead the design direction for our flagship product, Studio. We’d look to you to take over what we think is a strong foundation and raise the bar, setting us on a path to become a reference in terms of Product Design. Beyond the design work itself, we’d hope for you to bring a strong view on how a high-impact design team should operate and shape the way we work accordingly.
As our Head of Product Design, you’ll:
- Lead the Design direction of Studio and ensure a cohesive and outstanding visual language and user experience.
- Manage and develop the Design team with an eye for ways of working, skills development, tooling and hiring needs.
- Work closely with the Head of Product and VP of Product Engineering on Product Strategy and roadmap.
- Anticipate and plan for the Design investments that will be necessary to take the Product to new heights.
- Not shy away from stepping in and designing yourself on high stakes projects or to support and guide your reports.
What you will be working on:
As our Head of Design, here are some of the challenges you could run into:
- Rethink the paradigm of video creation around generative AI, how time is represented and manipulated.
- Develop a vision for a new type of assisted video creation workflow powered by the latest advancements in LLMs and generative AI.
- Identify opportunities to bring in more of the brand into our Product Design.
You should apply if you bring:
- Significant experience in designing SaaS web apps or B2C products at a Head of/Manager/Principal/Lead/Director+ level.
- Experience managing and coaching designers.
- Strong product opinions and taste - not shying away from proposing solutions based on your intuition and experience.
- Ability to think at a high level about product strategy and translate it into Design goals and values.
- Ability to structure the design process and organize a whole team’s work.
- Proven track record of creating beautiful, cohesive and meaningful design and UI, strong attention to details.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
At Synthesia we expect everyone to:
- Be an owner.
- Focus on outcomes over Inputs and Plans.
- Make the journey fun.
- Default to simple.
You can read more about this in this public Notion page: https://synthesia.notion.site/How-we-work-at-Synthesia-f794caa72f8446efb6be22b551c e0fa2
You can expect in return...
A competitive package. The salary range is in the region of £150,000 - £200,000 GBP base (or a local equivalent) + bonuses and stock options in our fast growing Series C start-up.
A hybrid or remote-friendly environment. Our preference is for our Product team to spend 2x days a week in the office if you're based in commutable distance to our London office. You’ll also have the option to work fully remote from Europe if you're not local to an office. We start our day at 8am-10am GMT+1.
25 days of annual leave + public holidays in the country where you are based. Regular socials and company retreats.
A generous referral scheme.
A brand new computer of your choice and the equipment you need to get your work done (if that still counts as a benefit in 2023 )
A huge opportunity for career growth as you’ll help shape a market-defining product.
+ Other country-specific benefits based on the country you are hired in such as private healthcare in some countries.